Sunday 16 February 2014

Nunhead Cemetery

I went along to Nunhead Cemetery the other day to film/ photograph a corporate work day. It was really cool! I've been to Nunhead a few times, in fact, the picture I submitted for Time Out's Your London competition was taken in Nunhead. It's an incredibly beautiful and atmospheric cemetery and nature reserve, with so much to see and discover. There's something very timeless and otherworldly about this cemetery, and the the other magnificent seven... I'm hoping to visit Brompton and West Norwood cemeteries soon so I can get started on the 'haunted london' section of my book...

During the day I signed up to become a member of Friend of Nunhead, mainly so I could find out when the chapel tower will be open, from the top you can see out across the whole of London. I also got talking to the founder of the ground (Jeff I think his name was) who like me is also fascinated by cemeteries. He once wrote a piece entitled 'around the world in 80 cemeteries'! It's funny, before I left, I said something like 'see you around, maybe at another cemetery,' which reminded me of the time Owen the windmill photographer said 'see you at another windmill.' Strange how certain spaces connect people...strange, how life works and is.... 

Anyway I've included some pictures below, there are more on the Groundwork Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GroundworkLondon