Saturday 23 February 2013

Film Club #1 Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset

...for the first film club meeting, a group of friends and I watched a double bill of Before Sunrise/ Before Sunset... They were both excellent films, with a lot of depth, interesting dialogue and filled with subtle nuances. What really got me, was the very simple idea behind the film. Before Sunrise tells a captivating story about two strangers with very different personalities and outlooks on life connecting on a chance encounter on the train and spending the day together...talking, wandering, sharing- just living; the connection between the two characters was so beautifully organic and more importantly, real...


I found myself really relating to the story... throughout my life I've met some of the most amazing people by chance in the same serendipitous way that Jesse met Celine; at train stations, galleries, cafe's, Museums and I've often found these connections have stayed with me for the longest time... I remember all the streets we walked down, all the bridges we crossed, all the strange things we saw, landmarks we passed, characters we spoke to and most importantly the conversations we shared and the ideas I took away with me...

Anyone who has spent a single day just walking through a beautiful city with a stranger, just talking and sharing ideas with someone so different to themselves will know exactly what I mean, it's def the closest thing to magic, I've ever experienced... Before Sunset is also an incredible work of art, it shows just how much the lives of the two characters changed in the years to follow and how affected they both were by their meeting...I can't wait till Before Midnight comes out! Watch these films if you get the chance.